Learning how to plan your shot based on the features and layout of the golf course is key, especially when you’re learning or competing on a new green. Basking Ridge Country Club offers private lessons and group clinics that can help new members learn our course inside and out. Our pro instructors can also provide in-depth tips on how to get the lay of the land on any course.
What Is Golf Course Navigation?
Golf course navigation involves positioning yourself to make your shots easier and keep your scores low. You can learn to read a hole so that you know what angles to use and identify the best hitting areas and target spots.
Basic Course Navigation Tips
Here are some basic tips if you find yourself on a new course.
- Walk around the green before your first tee time to get an overview of the first few holes.
- Note how trees, water, mounds, bunkers, slopes and swales impact your shot.
- Approach each shot strategically and keep a journal so you’re better prepared for future golf games.
Besides learning how to strategize on the different elevations and levels of play, it’s important to know the rules for encountering other golfers on the fairways. Here are a few tips to get you started:
- Play through at a reasonable pace or let other parties play ahead.
- Replace divots and rake bunkers.
- Pay attention to the rules of the course
- Let the player the farthest away from the pin go first.
It takes a while to pick up on all the nuances, but as long as you act with courtesy first, other golfers are typically happy to help you learn the basics.
Finding Your Way Around the Basking Ridge Golf Course
Visit our website to take an aerial or virtual tour of the Basking Ridge Golf Course. It’s always a good idea to gather as much information as you can from current members or those familiar with the golf course. The Basking Ridge staff is always happy to answer your questions and help you find your way around.
Basking Ridge Country Club has a Golf Academy that caters to all levels of play, so feel free to check it out online or to schedule time in one of our golf clinics or personal golf instruction opportunities.