At the Basking Ridge Country Club’s Golf Academy, players are offered an overall evaluation by conducting a complete array of tests usually reserved for the best golfers in the world. By assessing a “total picture” of your body, swing, and equipment, our team will recommend a program that will be integrated into your instruction to help you optimize your performance.
Our lesson programs include:
- Helping you to achieve the confidence you need to fully enjoy the game.
- Providing expert golf instruction to you in a comfortable, family oriented country club setting.
- Emphasizing the short game, long irons, getting off the tee, and golf course management.
- Teaching you the effective fundamentals that add distance and give control to your golf game.
- Providing proper club fitting for each individual.
Junior Summer Camp Overview and Philosophy
Our junior golf programs are based on the framework of Long Term Athletic Development, and with help from our world re-knowned advisors at The Titleist Performance Institute we design our programs so that our athlete’s:
- Develop Fundamental Movement Skills
- Establish Functional Movement Patterns
- Develop Sport-specific Skills
- Learn and Master Golf-specific Skills
- Enhance Strength, Speed, and Power
- Etiquette and Life Skills
- Foster a Love for Playing Golf
A child with a strong all- around Athletic Base will develop golf skills at a faster rate and will peak at a higher level of expertise.
Long Term Athletic Development (LTAD) is the life-long athletic performance model that starts at birth and ends at early adulthood. The LTAD approach focuses on children performing age appropriate skill acquisition drills to maximize athletic potential. There are critical times in each child’s development, that the body is more responsive to certain skills due to changing growth rate.
The Five Skills are:
- Suppleness (Mobility)
- Sports Skill
- Stamina (Endurance)
Fundamental Movement Skills are general movement patterns that involve two or more segments of the body. These skills are key to overall athletic development:
- Locomotive Skills- Running, Jumping, Hopping, Sliding, Skipping, etc.
- Stability Skills (ABC’s of Athleticism)- Agility, Balance, Coordination
- Object Control Skills- Throw, Catch, Strike, Kick
- Awareness- Spatial, Kinesthetic, Body
Functional Movement Patterns – The body works in an alternating pattern of mobile then stable joints if a pattern is broken dysfunction, pain, and injury occur, overall athletic performance will suffer. Exercises are performed in all of our programs to train and sustain functional movement patterns. The basic exercises include:
- Flexion (Hip Hinge)
- Thoracic Extension (Back Bend)
- Overhead Deep Squat
- Single Leg Balance
Why develop Sport-Specific Skills? Because transfer of learning works. Motor skills developed in one sport have a positive impact on skill development in another sport. These are some sport specific skills we train for golf:
- Striking- Baseball/Cricket Batting, Tennis Ground Stroke, Hockey Slap Shot
- Throwing- Baseball Pitching, Football Throwing, Lacrosse, Javelin, Hammer Throw, Discuss, Shot Put
- Wrist Release Speed and Education- Ping Pong, Badminton, Paddle Tennis, Racquetball/Squash, Frisbee Throw
- Kicking- Soccer, Football, Martial Arts
Developing Golf Skills happens over an entire golf career. We never stop learning about our swings, putting, or specialty shots. These are some of the Golf Skills our P.G.A. pro’s will be teaching our juniors:
- Putting- Speed Control, Directional Control, Green Reading, Alignment
- Short-Game- Distance, Force, and Trajectory Control, Specialty Shots
- Full Swing- Grip, Posture, Alignment, Ball Position, Weight Shift, Swing Plane/Path
- Course Management- Tactics, Club Selection, Risk-Reward
Strength, Speed, and Power is crucial to our athlete’s development. Being able to drive the golf ball a long way creates a tremendous competitive advantage. Our Junior’s will learn fundamental strength exercises, plyo-metric speed training, and Olympic lifts so they can maximize their true speed and power potential.
The Tradition and History of Golf is a large part of what makes this game so great and beloved. Our programs will teach rules of the game, proper etiquette, and history. Knowledge of legendary courses, architecture, golfers, and events are important to being a complete golfer.